Investing or doing business in the United States has many options for the foreign investor
Lehman Tax Law and United States Taxation and Immigration LLC., have helped clients in over 50 countries who are interested in migrating to the United States, investing in the United States or doing business in the United States.
Here are a few frequently asked questions about foreign investing in United States real estate:
- Are U.S. real estate profits taxed in the same manner as profits from a U.S. manufacturing company?
- No (correct)
- What entity may a foreign individual investor use to insure no estate tax will be paid if the investor dies owning United States real estate?
- U.S. Corporation
- Foreign Corporation (correct)
- Limited Liability Company
- What tax rate will apply to an individual non resident alien who pays a capital gains tax on the sale of real estate held for two years?
- 15% (correct)
- Will a nonresident alien individual pay a U.S. estate tax if he or she buys U.S. real estate in a limited liability company?
- Yes (correct)
- A foreign investor will pay no tax on Portfolio Interest if the foreign investor owns the following percentage of shares of a corporate borrower?
- 9% (correct)
- Can a foreign corporation use a Like Kind Exchange to defer taxes on gain from investments in real estate?
- YES (correct)
- The sales of shares in a foreign corporation that owns U.S. real estate will be taxed at capital gains rates.
- No (correct)